- Rep. Steve King (R-IA) will win again. D will gain maybe 5-ish in the House, R will gain maybe 3 in the Senate, but both majorities will remain intact.
- The Cubs will win 70 or fewer games.
- There will be at least one more Rand Paul or Ted Cruz filibuster.
- At least two more states will have court rulings in favor of homosexual marriage. NOTE: this is written after Utah. EDIT: I predict that Utah's rulings will stand and there will be no 'stay' before the final ruling, either.
- The rest of Sherlock will be awesome.
- Bitcoin will "stabilize" by the end of the year in that week-over-week fluctuations in value will be less than, say, 10% for a few weeks in a row. This is still an absurd level of volatility for a "currency". Also, the IRS will announce treating it as a foreign currency for tax purposes, which would make things a lot easier to deal with in some ways. Bitcoin will still be a rather impractical idea, much like a lot of other techno-libertarian nonsense.
- Somehow Steve King loses or doesn't run. Any Republican in the state could replace him and I'd be fine with their election if he somehow does not run.
- More states take up the Medicaid expansion.
- Extension of unemployment benefits.
- Rand Paul and Ted Cruz get their comeuppance. Perhaps some GOP guy says something against the libertarian wing of the party and it sticks.
- Either party starts to take action on global warming seriously. Hopefully both do. We have a party of stupid and a party of inaction at the moment.
- The Cubs win 75 games. HA.
EDIT: more predictions.
David Brooks will continue to earn my ire as the worst of all possible editorialists. At least ideological hacks are ideological hacks - they're understandable. I'd rather read Steve King (R-IA) editorializing - I would understand my enemy. But, Brooks: nothing of the sort. There are "useful idiots" in politics, but he is merely a "useless idiot". If I wanted to understand his opinion, I would just put on my University of Chicago sweatshirt and think my most WASPy, status-quo-loving thoughts ("I'm a big four-eyed lame-o, and I wear the same stupid sweater every day and --"). Aha! Marijuana should be illegal because only losers smoke it. Who wants to be a loser?
Okay, I'm not exactly stepping out on a limb there, I'm just editorializing about how David Brooks pisses me off.
Actual prediction: the individual mandate ends up doing a lot of good where allowed to actually work. GOP bitches about it all year.