Sunday, May 14, 2006

today is a good day i think

Spurred by my thoughts on the ending of War and Peace, among other things, I'm really gonna try this time and write my thoughts on gender and sexuality.
Don't fail me now, Patrick! By quoting you on my web-log, I have bound you to this course of action. I wait eagerly for your thoughts on teh sex, esp. as I lean more towards the Catholic take on the matter than the Orthodox take [the?] re: contraception and divorce [at least, those like Mr. Liccione who agree that, in the case of AIDS, the use of a condom may be a legitimate application of the principle of double effect]. I should consider articulating my own take on the matter, perhaps on aesthetic grounds rather than the more conventional grounds which are far more important to me but which can be found stated irrefutably in Anscombe.

EDIT: a fine Anscombe quote. "You might as well accept any sexual goings–on, if you accept contraceptive intercourse."

EDIT: on the irrefutability of Anscombe. I've never seen anybody directly take on and decisively defeat Anscombe. Especially not on matters where she's right.

3 comments:

Patrick said...

Oh, yikes. That's a lot of pressure.

Patrick said...

Also, the Anscombe article is simply brilliant, not to mention prescient.

Mr. G. Z. T. said...

I agree. She was a true rock and/or roll star. I mean, it has come to the point where she is precisely right - it's all or nothing with the contraception debate, as I've found when talking with those regrettable liberalists at that other site. It just keeps moving.