Sunday, October 28, 2012

Le Corbeau

We've been watching French films on Sunday afternoons and I suppose we're coincidentally on a Clouzot kick. Last week, we watched Pepe le Moko and this week we watched Le Corbeau. We liked one of the actors enough that I made it a point to plan on watching the other movie I have that he is in, Les Diaboliques. Coincidentally, this is also a Clouzot. But here is a great scene:
Vorzet: But where's the light? Where's the shadow? Where does evil start? Do you know which side you're on?
Germain: It's of small importance. But we must stop the light swinging.
(Germain reaches to halt the light bulb, but recoils with burnt fingers)
Vorzet: (laughs) You hurt yourself! That proves something. There . . . I like you, so let me confide something. I take drugs. I inject myself. (spoilers removed) But I don't take myself to be a monster! Think about that, and check your conscience. The results could surprise you.
Germain: I know myself.
Vorzet: You're proud. Since the winds of hate blew through this town all values have been more-or-less corrupted. You're stricken too. You'll fall like the rest. Oh I'm not saying you'll strangle your mistress, but you'd go through my bag if I wasn't here! ... One simply has the choice.
It makes more sense in context, of course. I highly recommend the film. It also brings up two important considerations: don't gossip, and don't "inform". But it's all much more complex than that, you know.

Better than Pepe le Moko in that the women weren't just tropes.

No comments: