Monday, July 07, 2014

Another survey: using multiple musical settings for liturgy

Specifically in the Russian tradition, but any input is welcome. Our small mission is deciding how to insert some variation into the musical settings of the liturgy, and apparently I'm used to a lot more variation and in different places than some other people. Well, my last parish in the Russian tradition had a very well-appointed choir with an ambitious choir director by the time I left, so pretty much everything was up for grabs, but even before then, there was apparently diversity in some places where, at other parishes, there may not have been.

Anyway, so I wrote a survey asking about a couple ways of varying musical settings for the fixed portions of the "usual" Sunday liturgy at your parish. If you have multiple parishes where you are familiar with the musical practices, feel free to respond to the survey multiple times (don't answer the "opinion" parts multiple times). The options are not exhaustive, but some would be too tricky to survey over and expect good answers (ie, all the various litanies).

For the opinion questions, which you can answer even if you have no idea what your parish does, think in terms of your preferences tempered by the realities of actual parish life in a "typical" parish. Define that however you like. Also, if you're at a parish I've been a member of, I know the practices already, but feel free to inject your opinion.

Note: I am not, of course, going to use this information "against" the people who disagree with me in my parish! We are a small mission, so the choices we have made are almost more than enough already, so we're not going to vary more for quite a while.

Take the survey here.

Anyway, my personal thoughts are that I think having a couple settings of the antiphons, a few settings of the trisagion, and several settings of the cherubic hymn is feasible for most parishes. Even at the depths of choral despair, I think we managed that at my previous parish. More is definitely possible in some places, but that's a healthy start, and one definitely should be wary of losing the crowd by changing everything every week.

If you simply want to browse what others have replied, a summary of the results can be viewed here.

No comments: