Friday, December 07, 2007

Emodox

This is not going to be my great treatise about the so-called "emodox", the terminally "emo" Orthodox Christians one sometimes sees (often converts, but not always). I am certain most religious traditions have their own equivalent. Some entire denominations of Protestantism encourage such a temperament in their forms of popular piety, in fact.

I was actually going to write more, but it would turn into uncharitable caricatures of specific British people, so I decided not to. So, I will spare you my thoughts but leave this post because "emodox" is such a great word. It must enter our lexicon.

4 comments:

Eric said...

That is awesome. And yet, so true - especially about the Prots having them.

Mr. G. Z. T. said...

Well, I may comment on that phenomenon at a later date. A certain strand of Pietism, of course, is the main culprit in Protestantism. Modern consumer culture has a role in the broad trend: man as an economic beast seeking entertainment, all he does is make choices, religion among them.

John Adrian Martin said...

Emodox are among few types of people who test my patience on webforums. Them and trolls. Though sometimes they're the same.

Mr. G. Z. T. said...

I humbly submit that is because the trolls you encounter suck.