Monday, December 17, 2012

Open Letter to The American Conservative

Or: Why I won't ever give money to your magazine.

I occasionally read articles from your magazine and appreciate its unique and valuable perspectives, even if I don't always agree with them. Epistemic closure, after all, is killing conservatism and, indeed, all political discourse. When I look at your web site, I am occasionally asked to subscribe or to donate or otherwise invest money and I always say "no". I feel I owe you an explanation, as there is only one small thing standing between your organization and some small amount of my money. I cannot and will not give any money to any organization that publishes articles by climate change denialists such as this one: http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/two-cheers-for-heresy-on-global-warming/ I suppose some may find it ironic to have this reaction to that article in particular, but that is my prerogative.

Best,

gzt

sent 12/16/2012

3 comments:

Mr. G. Z. T. said...

For context: despite my well-documented personal animosity toward Rod Dreher, who is on the staff of that magazine, I do find the content interesting and challenging. There was some offer to subscribe for a year for $10 or something and there are occasional appeals to donate money. It was tempting, because that's a cheap price for the content even if I do not identify as a conservative, but this was the one reason I absolutely refuse. I simply cannot give them money.

Eric said...

That article was so full of logical fallacies, I wouldn't know where to begin. On top of that, it was just not well written.

Mr. G. Z. T. said...

But it's the sort of thing that's crack to the "denialist" class.

He's also the guy who write the tragically flawed article about race and admissions to Harvard.

I could ignore his contribution to the magazine, but he's one of the publishers.